Archive › Community

On Accountability

Every so often I see a scenario play out that I find rather disappointing. It works like this: someone posts a topic to their blog that is critical or controversial. This person can either be a community member, commentator, employee or otherwise; it doesn’t matter who the person is. Then what happens is a series […]

Comments ( 29 )

Community Leadership Summit 2014 Announced!

I am delighted to announce the Community Leadership Summit 2014, now in it’s sixth year! This year it takes place on the 18th and 19th July 2014, the weekend before OSCON at the Oregon Convention Center. Thanks again to O’Reilly for providing the venue. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the CLS, it […]

Comments ( 0 )

Ask Me Anything on Monday

On Monday 13th Jan starting at 6pm UTC (10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern) I will be doing an AMA on Reddit. For those unfamiliar with this – this is where you can ask me anything on Reddit, and the most popular questions and responses are up/down voted. The post will go live about 30mins before […]

Comments ( 5 )

Partners, Community, and Success

Recently the Ubuntu newswires have been buzzing with the news that we have won our first smartphone partner. Now, let’s get the elephant in the room out of the way – I am not telling you who it is. It is not my place here to share confidential details about business-to-business relationships such as this. […]

Comments ( 9 )

Project Community Computers

Free Software is not just software or a philosophical attitude to freely available software. Free Software is a catalyst for change in a constantly evolving world that is becoming more and more dependent on technology. Unfortunately while many of us are getting faster and faster computers on our desktops and in our pockets, for many […]

Comments ( 2 )

Building an Ubuntu App Developer Advocacy Community

I have talked in the past about how critical I feel app developers are to the Ubuntu convergence story. If developers can go from idea to implementation to publishing quickly and easily, it will make the overall Ubuntu platform more attractive and featureful for users, partners, OEMs, carriers and more. As such, we are working […]

Comments ( 1 )

Mir Update and Testing Mir in Ubuntu 13.10

Some time ago we announced Mir; a thin, efficient, multi form-factor display server that will form the foundation of Ubuntu moving forward across desktops, phones, tablets, and TVs. Our goal has been clear that in Ubuntu 13.10 we will include Mir by default for cards that support it and fall back to X for cards […]

Comments ( 13 )

Put the Ubuntu Edge Indigogo Widget on Your Website

A fantastic way of supporting the Ubuntu Edge campaign is to embed the campaign widget into your website. It looks like this: It is as simple as pasting the following code into your site sidebar/widget/page: <iframe src=”http://www.indiegogo.com/project/461046/widget” width=”224px” height=”486px” frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe> Thanks!

Comments ( 8 )

One Week In. Seven Million Dollars. Keep On Pledging!

One week ago today we kicked off the Ubuntu Edge Indigogo Campaign; a campaign to raise $32million using the crowd-funding site Indigogo to build the beautiful Ubuntu Edge device that can run Ubuntu Phone and Android and boot a full Ubuntu desktop running off the phone itself. Be sure to see (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/). This campaign is […]

Comments ( 35 )

Community Leadership Summit 2013 and OSCON Action

If you are going to be in Portland, Oregon in the next few weeks, I wanted to share some of the things I will be doing. If you want a meeting while I am at the Community Leadership Summit and OSCON, please get in touch and we can coordinate. Community Leadership Summit 2013 I founded […]

Comments ( 2 )