Archive › Community

Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group Announced

We are working on a powerful vision with Ubuntu; to build a convergent Operating System that runs on phones, tablets, desktops, and TVs. A core part of this vision is that this is a platform and ecosystem that you can influence, improve, and be a part of, significantly more-so than our competitors. One consistent piece […]

Comments ( 2 )

Simplifying App Websites With Juju

Last week I had a neat idea. Well, at least I think it is a neat idea. Let me share it with you folks to get your take. We have been spending a lot of time refining every aspect of the application development process for writing Ubuntu phone/tablet/desktop applications. This has included: Building a simple, […]

Comments ( 8 )

Printed Certificates for Ubuntu Members

The Ubuntu community is a core part of what makes us what we are, and right at the center of that are our Ubuntu Members. Ubuntu Members provide significant and sustained contributions over a wide range of areas such as packaging, documentation, programming, translations, advocacy, support, and more. We always want to do our best […]

Comments ( 8 )

May 2013 Ubuntu Developer Summit Summary

Recently we had our online Ubuntu Developer Summit where we discussed a range of topics, defined next steps, and documented work items. The very last session at the event was an overall summary of the tracks (you can watch the video here), but I wanted to blog an overall summary too. These notes are quick […]

Comments ( 4 )

Respect in Community Discussion and Debate

Recently there was yet another storm in a teacup that distracted us from creating and sharing Ubuntu and our flavors with others. I am not going to dive into the details of this particular incident…it has been exhaustively documented elsewhere…but at the heart of this case was a concern around the conduct in which some […]

Comments ( 11 )

Dogfooding the Ubuntu Phone: My (Early) Experience

As many of you will know, our goal is to get the Ubuntu phone in a state where it can be used on a daily basis for testing, and importantly, finding bugs, UI issues, and other details that help us to refine the overall Ubuntu Touch experience. Progress is on-track for the end of May. […]

Comments ( 40 )

Getting the Ubuntu Advocacy Kit to 1.0

A while back I started a project called the Ubuntu Advocacy Kit. The goal is simple: create a single downloadable kit that provides all the information and materials you need to go out and help advocate Ubuntu and our flavors to others. The project lives here on Launchpad and is available in this daily PPA. […]

Comments ( 8 )

On Brainstorm

Recently the Technical Board made a decision to sunset Brainstorm, the site we have been using for some time to capture a list of what folks would like to see fixed and improved in Ubuntu. Although the site has been in operation for quite some time, it had fallen into something of a state of […]

Comments ( 8 )

Unity 8 Running on Mir on a Galaxy Nexus

Hot on the heels of my last post showing Unity 8 running on Mir on a Macbook Pro Retina, there were some folks who were curious about how well Unity and Mir work on a phone. Well, thanks to your friend and mine, Kevin Gunn, you can see a video of Unity 8 on Mir […]

Comments ( 4 )

Video Demo of Unity 8 on Mir

Recently the Mir and Unity Next teams got Unity 8 up and running on Mir. Now, this work is still very early in development and neither Mir nor Unity Next are finished yet, but I reached out to Michael Zanetti, who is on the team, and asked him to put together a short video demo […]

Comments ( 17 )