Archive › Community

On Simplicity

As a pretty simple-minded person, I am a big fan of simplicity. The world is filled with too much complexity and too much detail. Many often feel the detail is necessary for particular outcomes or to solve particular problems. The lesson I have learned as I have gotten older though is that while the skill […]

Comments ( 6 )

Congratulations to Microsoft Open Technologies

Recently Microsoft Open Technologies celebrated their one year anniversary. I just wanted to offer my congratulations on this important milestone. Now, it could be tempting for some of you to become a little snitty about Microsoft wanting to engage more openly with people, but I believe that this project (as well as the OuterCurve Foundation; […]

Comments ( 15 )

Community Leadership Summit, Training, and Talks

I just wanted to talk about a busy week of community management and leadership related content I will be involved in in July 2013 in Portland, Oregon. Community Leadership Summit 2013 The Community Leadership Summit is the primary annual event that brings together community leaders, organizers and managers and the projects and organizations that are […]

Comments ( 1 )

More Regular, Open, and Transparent Planning

Continuing with the work to refine and improve how we build Ubuntu in an open, transparent, and collaborative way, I want to take a few minutes to discuss some work going on to improve the regularity of our planning and the benefits this brings. Traditionally planning for Ubuntu has worked like this. We ship a […]

Comments ( 6 )

Recent Ubuntu Community Refinements

Our community is at the heart of how we build Ubuntu. Recently there were some concerns expressed about some aspects of our community and I have been working with various community members and internally at Canonical to resolve some of these issues to make things smoother. I just wanted to summarize some updates: Regular, transparent […]

Comments ( 27 )

Thoughts On Recent Community Concerns

Recently there has been some fire flowing about Canonical in the community. These concerns started off as sporadic at first and then we saw a small blog avalanche (blogalanche, if you will) as a number of folks piled onto the ride. I feel somewhat trapped in the middle of all of this. On one hand […]

Comments ( 61 )

Online UDS Day One: Feedback Welcome!

I just wanted to post a quick blog entry thanking everyone who joined the first day of our inaugural online Ubuntu Developer Summit today. Overall we didn’t see many glitches in our plan of how to run the event, and we also gathered some fantastic feedback for things we can improve and extend upon next […]

Comments ( 8 )

Getting Started With The First Online Ubuntu Developer Summit

Tomorrow we will be running our very first online Ubuntu Developer Summit. The event will take place over two days and span a range of different tracks: Community, Client, Cloud & Server, App Developers, and Foundations. We have never run an event like this before, but we have prepared extensively to deliver the best online […]

Comments ( 0 )

XDA Developers and Ubuntu Touch

Big shout out to the awesome community over at XDA Developers who have been getting involved in the Ubuntu Touch Port-o-thon to bring the Ubuntu Touch images to more and more devices. Daniel Holbach kicked off the port-o-thon the day after we released the code and images last week, and we are already seeing fantastic […]

Comments ( 25 )

On Moving To An Online Ubuntu Developer Summit

Some of you may have seen the news about us transitioning to an online Ubuntu Developer Summit and running the event every three months. If you didn’t see the news, you can read it here. I just wanted to share my personal perspective on this change. For a long time now I have been attending […]

Comments ( 13 )