Leading strategy and execution for building engaged, productive communities.
Building communities is hard. While many organizations know the importance of growing an engaged, productive, and passionate community, it can be difficult to know where to start. This work focuses on the connective tissue between people and technology and it can be difficult to know how to create a strategy and execute well.
Fortunately I can help. I have spent my entire career working on building communities for a range of organizations. I can help you create your strategy, break it down into executable pieces, and deliver results. I can help you with the many facets of this work such as workflow, infrastructure, governance, hiring, outreach/marketing, social media, metrics, and more.
Every organization is different and I am a firm believer in tailoring this work to your needs. So, don’t hesitate in getting in touch and we can explore how we could work together.
How I can help
While every organization is different and we can tune this work to your needs, here are some common areas in which I have helped my clients building their communities:
Strategy and Execution
Gather company goals and bake them into a clear strategy complete with regular execution plans. This will provide clear community strategy, crisp execution across teams, and accountability for delivery and influencing future decisions.
Outreach and Engagement
Use a variety of media such as writing, social, video, events and more to attract new community members, get them engaged, help them be successful, and deliver great results. This is all within the goal of building meaningful relationships and retention.
Infrastructure and Communication
Build a clear, productive, and cost-effective infrastructure for community participation and collaboration. This will span development, communication, knowledge, issue tracking, and more, to ensure your community can work as efficiently as possible.
We will build an overall strategy and execution that focuses on significant and sustained participation and strong retention. The most effective communities have committed members, and we will strive to build this for your community too.
Identify different community roles and build effective workflow to make participation productive and simple. This will span the entire lifecycle of community roles and help identify process, product, and infrastructure.
For organizations who want to hire a community manager or team, I will help to define the role, assess salary/compensation, and use my network to identify potential candidates, screen, train, and on-board them. This will help build strong community muscle in your organization.
For organizations that want a governance function, we will explore different governance models and then codify, staff, and build effective governance bodies for the project. This will also cover processes, meetings, transparency, company/community balance, and more.
These are just a few example areas we can focus on. Every organization is different and we will delve into your specific needs to ensure we put together the very best community strategy and delivery that delivers great results.
Build The Best
My ExperienceWhy I can help
- Extensive consulting experience with organizations including Deutsche Bank, Intel, Sony, ON.LAB, and others.
- Previously Director of Community at Canonical, GitHub, XPRIZE, and elsewhere.
- Author of The Art of Community and active speaker on community strategy and delivery.
BenefitsHow this will help your organization
- Productive, engaged communities provide growth, commitment, marketing, and revenue.
- Build a community strategy that is structured, predictable, and delivers results.
- Hire well and ensure your community staff are set up for success and well trained.
- Infuse your strategy with key experience of what works well and what doesn’t.
A small selection of clients I have provided community management services to:
- I will always act in the best interests of your organization and your goals.
- I will always provide you with thoughtful, focused, and competent service.
- I will always provide frank, honest, and respectful feedback, even if sometimes difficult to hear.
- I will always seek feedback, both good and bad, so I can be the best I can be.
If you would like to talk more about community management or anything else I can help with, simply fill in the form over there and I will be in touch. Alternatively, call me on +1 415-658-1738 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org